Thursday, May 28, 2009

Operation Moonrise Teaser Featuring... Melvin!


Phase One of Operation Moonrise will be posted later tonight! In the meantime though, we have a special treat for you all! In another special Moon Chase exclusive, Roland Parliament (Melvin, ADR Director) shares some of his experiences on the show , hardships, and some really great stories! Roland has since gone on to teach acting at many schools and venues all across Canada, and also directed the upcoming animated film Ferretina (which features many Sailor Moon voice actors). The following, are his thoughts on the series in his own words.


My favorite episode is "Tuxedo Melvin" (of course) and also the episode when Nephlite died. Mary Long had everyone in the control room in tears over her performance in that one. Very moving.

My favorite parts were working with some fabulous actors especially Terri
Hawkes, Tony Daniels and David Fraser who are VERY creative, and Jeff Lumby
who is very funny. I also loved working with the engineer Sal Grimaldi who
could almost read my mind and was a great guy. I agree that the music was first rate. I also loved the team camaraderie with the cast that existed despite the fact that many of them never met each other until the wrap party!

I also loved the system we used to record known as the "Rhythmoband". It was
weird at first, but once you got the hang of it it was a lot like Karaoke.
It would be too expensive to do it that way today. We would probably use the
"beep" system which is much more tedious and not nearly as much fun.

What I didn't like was working 14-16 hours a day continuously for over 4
months. I didn't eat right, I didn't sleep right, I got very little exercise
and I got bad eye strain as I was parked in front of bright TV monitor all
the time checking for sync. I got very ill after it was all over and it took
a year before I felt right again. Even though I'd love to direct again, I
wouldn't work like that again.

I think the episodes I directed turned out so well because I tried to make
it fun for everyone with jokes and wisecracks, and I let the actors have a
lot of freedom. Because they were all so good (excellent casting on Nicole's
part) they really didn't require much direction and they appreciated being
allowed to interpret as they saw fit.


We'd like to take this time to thank Roland Parliament for his support of this site! We are all hoping for a re-dub that while somehow fixes mistakes in the past, still retains it's original charm. The campaign will begin this evening, keep your eyes peeled on the site!

EDIT: The survey has been posted! CLICK HERE!

Now it's time for the whole staff of Moon Chase to take a nap. We've worked non-stop for the last few days on all of this zzzzzz...

No comments: