Friday, March 18, 2011

BREAKING NEWS: Sailor Moon and Sailor V Manga to Be Published by Kodansha USA

We have some very exciting news for our readers today! The Sailor Moon manga will be relaunched by Kodansha USA, and the Sailor V manga will also be published by Kodansha USA, in print in the US for the first time! Volumes will be on sale starting in September.

From the official press release:

Never-before-published Enhanced Editions of the Groundbreaking Manga Series Share Long-Awaited US Publishing Debut with CODENAME: SAILOR V

NEW YORK, New York - March 18, 2011 - Kodansha USA Publishing, a subsidiary of Kodansha, announced today the exciting return of Naoko Takeuchi's SAILOR MOON, one of the most significant names in comics and manga, to US publishing. Brand new deluxe editions of the acclaimed series will be released by Kodansha USA's Kodansha Comics imprint in September 2011. Out of print for six years, SAILOR MOON re-launches along with Takeuchi's two-volume prequel series CODENAME: SAILOR V, in print in the US for the first time-making this one of the most highly anticipated manga releases in years.

The SAILOR MOON manga, which originated in Japan in 1992 and debuted in the US in 1997, follows Usagi Tsukino, a young girl who transforms into super heroine Sailor Moon to combat evil and fight for love and justice in the name of the Moon and the mysterious Moon Princess. The first successful shojo (girls') manga release in the US, SAILOR MOON changed the book landscape and helped establish the foundation for the manga craze; in particular drawing attention to the popularity of comics among female readers.

Prequel series CODENAME: SAILOR V, the first of Takeuchi's "magical girl" manga, will make its highly anticipated debut in the US alongside the SAILOR MOON re-launch. In CODENAME: SAILOR V, teenager Minako Aino fights as Sailor V against the villains of the Dark Agency before she discovers Sailor Moon.

The Kodansha USA editions of SAILOR MOON will be published on a bi-monthly schedule and follow the 2003 Japanese re-release format of the classic series. The original 18 volumes have been condensed into 12 volumes covering the main storyline, and two volumes dedicated to short stories. Each volume has gorgeous new cover art, retouched interior art and dialogue along with extensive bonus material from Takeuchi, and detailed translation notes.

One of the most recognized manga and anime properties in the world, SAILOR MOON took American pop culture by storm, with mentions in music ("One Week" by Barenaked Ladies), bestselling books (The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot) and more. In Japan, over 15 million copies have been sold and the series has generated everything from animated features to live action musicals, a live action television series and countless merchandise.

"I'm very excited to reintroduce Ms. Takeuchi's work to her American fans," said Yoshio Irie, president and CEO of Kodansha USA Publishing. Irie is also the former chief editor of Nakayosi magazine in which the SAILOR MOON manga was serialized. "As we continue to build the Kodansha Comics manga list, a title like SAILOR MOON is the jewel in our crown. As the former chief editor of the work in Japan, I'm especially thrilled to finally release the prequel, CODENAME: SAILOR V, to the many fans who have been asking for it at long last."

24 comments:

Quentin R. Watkins said...

OMFG! I'M SO EXCITEDDD! BEST DAY OF MY LIFE! <3

Now... waiting for the Anime to return! Wooohooooo

( ^ _ ^ )

Brit-chan said...

I saw the news like 20 minutes ago. I have probably flooded my facebook and tumblr feed with sailor moon stuff its driving people crazy. BUT I AM EXCITED!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited!!! I've been waiting for news like this!! I just saw it on ANN and decided to check it out here to make sure it was true. I can't believe it!! I'm so excited!

Anonymous said...

Original source?

Senshi said...

OMG!!! Sailor Moon is slowly returning to the US!! This is awesome news!! That means we get a whole new set (Will it be retranslated? I'm hoping so) & Finally we get Sailor V. I'm sooo happy!! ^-^

Emily said...

Our source is the Kodansha USA website: http://kodanshacomics.com/

Chris said...

So, this is the next step for Sailor Moon to return in the USA.

The next thing that we, the fans, would expect is the anime.

Momo said...

I think I just sh!t my pants I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!! herp derp. :DDDDDDD

A.J. said...

OMG!!! Oh I've been waiting for this for years!! YAY!!

Anonymous said...

I can not want I'M SO EXCITTEDDD Sailor Moon coming back! Now we just need the anime to be re-release. Finaly some good news.

The Lionhearted Girl said...

SO EXCITED! I have been waiting for this for years.

SparklingBlue said...

Now all we need is a re release of the anime...

Sailor Auron said...

WOO-FRACKIN-HOO!!

Hopefully this also means a return to television (I don't care if I hate the dub now, I admit I'd probably force myself to watch just
for an SM fix) and a dvd re-release and/or redub.

I plan to collect the mangas (Or get as many as I can) because I liked the anime when I was a kid and didn't really give the manga a chance. I do own a few comic book format mangas from ebay now, but very few. I'd really love to read the story in it's entirety and I have never read Sailor V, so that'll be a real treat. Can't wait!!

serepuff said...

I'm way too excited for words!! x3!

Anonymous said...

I'm really excited but I'm not ready to believe it just yet.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAITING AND WAITING FOR THIS NEWS TO COME ON THE BLOG FOR 2 YEARS NOW!!!!!!!! WAITING IN TOTAL FOR THIS SINCE I STARTED REWATCHING SAILOR MOON!!!!!!!!!! THE ORIGINAL BOOKS ARE SOOO EXPENSIVE USED!!! SO IVE WAITED AND WAITED WHILE HEARING ABOUT EVERYTHING GAOING ON IN EUROPE!!!!!! :D SOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I´m from canada, but (when it comes to manga)we get all the same stuff as the states :3 (now I just have to wait for canada to start showing less bad canadian shows that are just horrible, and start showing more anime!!!! that way I can watching sailor moon on tv again!!!! AND I´M SOOO HAPPY THAT SAILOR V IS BEING RELEASED TOO!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS GREAT!!!!!! :D hahaha lol already flooded my FB page with this news ;) ahaha

Anonymous said...

YES! I can barely contain my excitement!

I'm glad to hear that they're condensing it into 12 volumes, too! I would even like to see it in fewer, bigger ones, but that's me. :)

moonlightx said...

We as fans have waited so long!!! I cant believe it! I love sailor moon so much!! Now hopefully waiting for the anime to come out!!!! Woot woot woot! Im so excited, im about to lose control and i just cant hide it!!!!!!!!!

Calvin L said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing short of amazing!!!

Regardless of Sailormoon relaunch...we're FINALLY getting Sailor V ?!?!?!?!

ShouYume said...

This definitely made my day! Interestingly enough, I came on this morning to see if there might be some news about it because it came to my mind out of the blue. Who knew it would be the most recent news!

Grace said...

I'v never talked about SM to anyone except like 2 people and thats sad cause IM THE BIGGEST FAN!! Please add me to that number of people who still love Sailor Moon cause Iv never done anythin like that(BTW this is my first time posting a comment on SM yay)

Natasha said...

i cannot possibly express my excitement of this!!! i will be subscribing/purchasing this - whatever i have to do to get these!!!! my birthday is in september, so i now know what i want for it!!!! =D thank you for the AMAZING news!!!

Anonymous said...

This is FANTASTIC NEWS!! I already own all the old books that were released but Im SOOO going to rebuy these new editions.
I really hope they announce the return of the anime soon also!!
And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Give USA the FINAL SEASEON - Sailor Stars & the tv specials we never saw last time. That would be so awesome. :D

SailorCardKnight said...

HOLY CRAP!!!! THIS IS AMAZING NEWS!!!! =D

I'm totally going to preorder this when I can't!! I'm especially excited over the news of the Sailor V manga! Now i'm glad I put off on reading those scanaltions for this long, as an actuall book is FAR better than scans on a comp.

I'm a little worried about how Kodansha USA will handle it though. I heard their printings of Akira and Ghost in the Shell weren't impressive, and where very expensive. However, now that they have merged with Del Rey, perhaps it won't be so bad afteral, as Del Rey does a fantastic job with their manga releases. So hopefully they will let the staff of Del Rey handle it.